The Ballito Neighbourhood Watch (BNW) is a voluntary community organisation of people with shared common values who live in the area and work together to make the area a safer place to stay.
The BNW are supported by the participation of the local South African Police Service (SAPS), the Community Policing Forum (CPF), Local Authorities and Security Service Providers.
We are not taking over the work of the local police but we recognise that we can do an immense amount to ensure that SAPS use their resources to maximum efficiency. Please go to the membership page and sign up so we can watch out for each other. You can make a huge difference!
To provide a consolidated form of accurate information and assistance to the residents of Ballito, whether it be Crime or socio-economic influences, with the aim of building a responsive close-knit community.
A proactive and inclusive organisation that has its eyes on the ground and are fast to respond to undesirable external influences and in so doing, help in reducing criminal activity in the area.
To educate residents of the Ballito community on security and safety.
Keep an eye on one another’s properties, patrolling the street and reporting suspicious incidents to the Police and other involved safety and various law enforcement, emergency and security services.
Provide local real-time crime reports and reports of suspicious behaviour as they are reported by BNW members.
Bring neighbours together and encourage a network of communication to assist each other.
To be a part of a solution that will create safe neighbourhoods for everyone to cherish.
Reasons we need a neighbourhood watch:
- Unacceptable crime rate – increasing over festive season
- To create safe neighbourhoods for everyone to enjoy
- Police must focus primarily on violent crimes as opposed to property related crimes
- As we become more effective we will free up SAPS so that they can be more effective in their more serious cases
- Good communication with emergency services means swift effective reaction not only to crime but to other emergencies such as fire, accident
- To cultivate a sense of unity and good neighbourly relations among the residents of Ballito.
- To assist the local police to safeguard the community against criminal activities and strive for a safe and secure environment.
- To provide a channel through which local communities can play a meaningful role in crime prevention in a manner that is ethical and non-violent.
- To create public awareness with regard to safety, crime prevention and protection of families and their property.
- To encourage the community to work in close co-operation with the South African Police Services (SAPS) and other structures such as local authorities who are involved in law enforcement.
- To unite a diverse residency in creating a stable and crime free environment.
Do download the Ballito Neighbourhood Watch constitution click on the link below.
BNW Constitution 2016 (302Kb)